Sunday, August 12, 2012

Movie Theater Anxiety

I went with my family to see The Dark Knight Rises today. I was a bit nervous, especially in the confines of the theater....all I could think about was the latest tragedy where the 12 people were killed in Colorado.  I had a mini panic attack.  I don't think I would have stayed if it wasn't for my husband being there. I literally held his hand the entire movie. I hated feeling that way.

I hate that someone can go out into our world and scare everyone with a random act of violence.  I posted about it on facebook and got the reply I expected...that I shouldn't let anyone dictate my freedom of choice to go and do what I want with their random acts of violence. But...we know that is not how my mind works!  I was more and more comfortable as the movie went on. But I think I will have a bit of anxiety going into any movie for a bit in the future.  But I did go....I did watch the entire movie, and I came out ok. I guess that is the point...doing things anyways.  I mean I could easily become a hermit if I let everything bad that "could" happen dictate my daily life.   But...I didn't!

4 comments:

  1. You should be really proud of yourself that you overcame your fear and saw the movie. You "gained the strength, courage and confidence by looking fear in the face!!" keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for sticking it out! Like you said, it's so important to do things even when we have the fear and anxiety. I know I will be nervous the next time I go to the theatre, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you felt really good that you were able to stick it out..I say Bravo! Oh, and your husband probably loved holding your hand the whole movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job staying through the movie. I went to go see the movie with my hubby when we were in Chicago a few weeks ago for the International Obsessive Compulsive Foundation Annual Conference. I actually had a hard time at the movie too (for several reasons). But you and I stayed and pushed our way through it so we can be proud of that.

    ReplyDelete