Monday, July 16, 2012

Statements That Have Made Me Cry


-There is nothing wrong with you.-

-Have you taken your med's today?-

-No one else gets this upset about little things.-

-Maybe you should make a doctors appointment.- (referencing a psych doc)

-You're making this harder than it is.-


-There is nothing to be afraid of.-


We all have them, don't we?  Those statements made by people throughout our lives that seem to stay with us.  These are some that have stayed with me through the years.... Makes me really want to stop and think about what I say before I say it.  Funny how a few words can be engraved in your memory.


7 comments:

  1. Hello Shannon. You are totally right about the words or statements people say that stay with you. I find it amazing the hurtful and non helpful things people think they have the right to say to you which they would never want said to them selves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone asking, "Have you taken your med's today?" boils my blood. 2 people have asked me that years ago and I freaked out...not sure they mean't it in a bad way but still sounded so insulting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't like the "there's nothing wrong with you" one. Nor the "you're over-thinking this" one - even if it is true. What do they want me to do? Stop thinking? No, apparently they want me to switch to thinking about something else

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate--the "nothing's wrong with you." Instead of "maybe you should make an appt. to see the doc," I've gotten "The doctor isn't doing any good." Hurtful words stick with us no matter how hard we try to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "you cry at everything. What is wrong with you?" that's always a good one. Which makes you cry even more! Funny how we talk about the same thing today. Words can hurt you. Badly...even forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few of those, and you're right, it's awful and they just seem to follow you like a dark cloud.

    I hate the use of "...again?" as in "you're crying, again?" I also hate the "what is it this time, or what's wrong with you now?" I can also relate to lots of the ones posted above.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks girls...nice to know I'm not alone! And I wish I could change all the "voices" in our heads to where these things that were said to us did not affect us so deeply!

    ReplyDelete