Monday, May 21, 2012

Mental Illness, Insanity??

I think all too often when we do think of mental illness, we think of insanity. Now yes, some mental illness may be befriended with insanity.  But who is so knowing that they could ever define one as or as not insane? Is it not a one way street going in two directions?


In·san·i·ty
[in-san-i-tee]  
noun, plural in·san·i·ties.
1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind. dementia, lunacy, madness, craziness, mania, aberration.
2. Law . such unsoundness of mind as frees one from legal responsibility, as for committing a crime, or as signals one's lack of legal capacity, as for entering into a contractual agreement.
3. Psychiatry . (formerly) psychosis.
4. a. extreme foolishness; folly; senselessness; foolhardiness: Trying to drive through that traffic would be pure insanity.
b. a foolish or senseless action, policy, statement, etc.: We've heard decades of insanities in our political discourse.
 
But look at the definition.
Does that not apply to SO many people you know or have seen on the news or the internet?  Are lunacy, madness, craziness, ,mania and aberration so broad of terms that they could not include SO many people?
 
I mean jeeze...I know some people I have definitely thought of in these terms and they would not be considered mentally ill, or insane....Just rude or judgemental or even religious!! 
 
Think of the KKK...are these people not insane?  Are they not mentally ill?  I would think so.
Think of many politicians and their "crazy" antics, would they not fall under this definition?
What about the strict, unaccepting religions?  Are they not manic in their beliefs? Have they not  filed others under these definitions when defending their "religion'? What about your "average" criminal?  Who in their "right minds" would commit acts that cause them to have to go to jail?
 
I mean I just don't know that I can agree that all insanity is mental illness and vice-versa!  And I definitely think insanity is seen in those who would not be considered mentally ill! 
 
Are we not a world filled with people who are suffering, who are wanting, who are searching for  answers?  What sets the diagnosed apart from those who are not diagnosed? A diagnosis? 
 
Maybe we all have some type of mental illness at some time in our lives, just as we have all at one time or another suffered from physical illness? 
 
I for one, am not ashamed to be mentally ill!  I am nicer, and more compassionate than a great many people and I probably would not be this way if it were not for my "metal illness".  Yes, I want to change things about myself, but don't we all?  Maybe I should be easier on myself!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment